Applications for 2022 are NOW CLOSED
Many thanks to everyone who applied before 16 April 2022, we are reviewing all applications and you should have heard back from our Volunteer Co-ordinator.
Being a volunteer
Who do we look for?
As a FAB volunteer you will be at the heart of the holidays providing mentoring support, encouragement or just a sympathetic ear. Don’t worry we will train and support you throughout the experience. We are looking for people from all military ranks, backgrounds and experience, Defence civilians and ex-Service personnel to become volunteers. You do not need any previous experience to become a volunteer. We are ultimately looking for good listeners, people with enthusiasm for the project, and those with a willingness to be a friend or mentor to our bereaved families. Throughout the camps, you will be supported by a bereavement support officer who is trained in bereavement counselling for young children. You will also be surrounded by experienced volunteers who return year after year.
All volunteers MUST attend training before every camp. This is mandated, and if you are not able to attend the training session, sadly we will not be able to accept your application for this year. This is a great opportunity to meet old and new volunteers and really understand what the camps are all about.
If you are a new volunteer, there are four stages to the application process:
- Register your interest here. You can do this any time of the year, noting that applications usually open in February for camps in July/August of that year. Once registered, you will be on our mailing list and we will let you know when applications open.
- Complete an application form (the form is only available when applications are open for the year - usually Feb-April)
- Interview – The Volunteer Coordinator will contact you and arrange for you to attend a mandatory but informal interview. There are usually a number of interview dates and locations available, as well as an option to do this virtually.
- Training – Following the interview process and successful selection for attendance on the training, all volunteers will be required to undertake the bereavement awareness support course. There is no fee for attending the training course, however there may be nominal food and accommodation charges.
All new volunteers for any FAB Camps must have attended both an interview AND the training AND be able to attend one of the FAB Camps for that year. Camp dates can be found on the Camps page. We will confirm whether you have been successful after each stage of the process. If you have been successful at the training we will confirm immediately which camp you will be on.
If you are a returning volunteer, it is a three-stage process and we will confirm your success at each stage.
- Register your interest here (this is new for 2022). Once registered, you will be on our mailing list and we will let you know when applications open.
- Once applications open, you will be asked to complete an application form (the form is only available when applications are open for the year - usually Feb-April)
- Training (as per ‘New Volunteers’ – see above). All returning volunteers must update their training every year.
All applicants must be in possession of a valid in-date Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check to cover the period of the camp and specifically for FAB. Further advice can be given at interview. FAB will pay the cost of the DBS check if required.
All volunteers must complete online Safeguarding training. Those serving personnel and defence civilians can use the Defence training portal which is free. All others are to use the NSPCC online course; FAB will refund this cost on production of the receipt. We will provide you with details during the application process.
FAB is a charity and volunteers will be required to fund their own travel costs to the interviews, training and camps. Food and accommodation whilst on the camps is provided by FAB.
Interested in applying as a volunteer for FAB?
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please register your interest here and we will update you throughout the year.
If you require any further information regarding becoming a Volunteer, please Contact Us.